Oh, baby! Is your house prepped and ready for the littlest loved ones in your life? Use this helpful checklist to ensure your baby is safe and sound at home.
- Set your water heater below 120 degrees to prevent scalding at bath time.
- Test and replace batteries in smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors twice per year.
- Keep fire extinguishers handy and on each floor of your home.
- Install childproof latches on lower cabinets and doors.
- Anchor bookcases and appliances to the wall or floor.
- Replace window shades with accordion-style blinds and drapes.
- Install safety gates at the top and bottom of the stairs and in any room that’s off limits.
- Keep toilet seat down when not in use and consider installing a toilet seat latch.
- Keep the crib free of blankets, loose sheets, pillows and stuffed animals to prevent suffocation.
- Install childproof outlets or place childproof outlet covers on all outlets in your home.
- Reduce allergens in your home by cleaning tile, upholstery, carpet, and other flooring surfaces.
- Clean bath toys to prevent mold or the spread of illness between your children.
- Test and improve your indoor air quality, as indoor air pollution can cause serious health issues.
- Paint your walls safely when a baby is on the way!
- Move cleaning supplies and detergents out of reach and lock them away.
- Unplug small appliances when not in use.
- Remove toxic houseplants from your home entirely or out of grabby hand’s reach.
- Ensure your dishwasher is closed and latched when not in use.
- Place corner protectors on sharp furniture corners.
- Remove small items and décor that pose choking hazards.
At Neighbourly, we’re the caretakers of your home. If you need assistance with these tasks or any others on your to-do list, we would love the opportunity to help. Visit our website to explore our entire family of brands and schedule service.