Who says curling up with a good book is reserved for cold, rainy days?
The truth is, picking up a book is always a good idea, no matter the season. We’ve got the recipe for creating your perfect DIY reading nook – for rainy and sunny days alike!
This guide will provide you with lots of ideas and inspiration, but a great reading nook boils down to three essential ingredients:
- Comfy seating – Enhance your reading experience with comfy seating like an armchair, recliner, couch, or if you’re feeling casual, pillows on the floor near a wall you can lean against.
- Pillows and blankets – Speaking of which, pillows are important no matter your seating choice! Compliment them with a soft blanket for maximum comfort.
- The books – A nook isn’t necessary without the books. Grab that one on your nightstand you’ve been meaning to read or check out this list of bestselling titles for inspiration.
Your bed, back porch or couch next to the window are all great places to crack open your favourite book. However, building a reading nook is building a retreat – your own oasis designed specifically for reading.
You may find you have room underneath your staircase to create your reading space. Maybe you’re lucky enough to have a bay window. Or, maybe outdoors is more your style. Evaluate the “nooks and crannies” in your home and determine the best place to create your DIY reading nook.
Once you’ve nailed down the essentials, “ace the ambiance” with these tips!
- Turn your thermostat down a few degrees or turn your fan on high. These are prime conditions for “snuggling up” with your book!
- Brew up a warm cup of coffee or bake a sweet treat in the oven – the perfect reading companions!
- If your nook is a room of its own or in an enclosed area, consider changing the paint colour to help the mood. Soft or warm colors are peaceful and serene, perfect for losing yourself in a good book.
- Add baskets or shelves to place your favourite books. If space allows, build a custom bookshelf to store your entire collection.
- Sitting next to a window? Keep your space the perfect temperature by installing double pane windows.
- Messy spaces are stressful. Make a point to tidy up your nook before sitting down to read.
- Tidy up outdoors with beautiful landscaping. That way, when your gaze goes from the pages to your window, you’ll love what you see.
- Clean your hazy windows from the outside to perfect your reading view.
Ready, set, read! Get hooked on a book in your new book nook.
Sometimes DIY can be tough for your schedule. If you need help with any of these tips, a Neighbourly® home service professional in your neighbourhood is ready and excited to help. To schedule service now, enter your zip code on this screen. Or, visit our homepage to learn more.