In an ideal world, your home is a place of peace and serenity from the moment you walk in the door.
However, we know that’s not always the reality, especially when little ones are running rampant or dishes are piling up in the sink! Use these tips to promote harmony in your home.
Feng shui defined
Merriam-Webster dictionary defines feng shui as “a Chinese geomantic practice in which a structure or site is chosen or configured so as to harmonize with the spiritual forces that inhabit it.”
Basically, the level of energy you want to create in your home can be influenced by the colours, accessories and elements you choose for specific areas of your home!
Creating feng shui at home
Every item in your home brings a certain feeling of energy with it, and the placement of these items can promote or inhibit that. How does the energy in your home feel?
So let’s make it happen for you. Unsure where to begin? Draw inspiration from these 10 tips.
- Declutter, declutter, declutter. This is the first and arguably most important step. If clutter exists, energy cannot flow. Think of it as a form of self care! Use this resource to get started, and treat yourself to a professional clean when you’re done.
- Take a walk through your home. Where do you naturally stop and pause? What disrupts your flow? Use your body’s natural tendencies as a clue for rearranging. It’s important to find balance between energy having space to flow, but not enough to bounce off the walls!
- Cultivate your curb appeal. It’s not just for selling your home! Make sure the path to your front door is clearly defined and well lit. When a guest (or energy) enters, provide them with something that will cause them to pause, like a beautiful art piece.
- Let the sunlight in. The beauty of natural light in your home is that it encourages good energy and emotions. You may decide to upgrade/repair your windows, or to simply give them a good clean. In feng shui, they’re like eyes to the outside world.
- Purify your air. Speaking of the outside world, it’s best to make the air inside your home as close to the fresh air outdoors as possible. To do so, invite nature inside with happy houseplants. Change your air filters, or even have a professional test your indoor air quality.
- Paint the front door. In feng shui, your front door is the “mouth of energy.” So let your front door make a good impression, both visually and emotionally. A fresh coat of paint could do the trick! A Bagua map will indicate which colours are best depending on the direction your door faces.
- Engage the elements. What elements, you ask? In feng shui, there are five, to be exact: earth, wood, fire, water and metal. Incorporate a little of each element in your décor. A Bagua map can help you determine what items to place and where!
- Accessorize mindfully. Accessories serve as anchors for energy – which makes it more important to accessorize mindfully and choose beautiful accessories as your anchors. Like Marie Kondo says – if it doesn’t spark joy, it’s time for it to go.
- Maximize with mirrors. Mirrors are extremely symbolic and purposeful in feng shui. Use them, but with caution. What are they reflecting? Your trash can, the ceiling fan or your beautiful backyard? Use mirrors to reflect light and beautiful spaces.
- Fix what’s broken. Feeling stressed at home? Your leaky bathroom faucet and squeaky back door might have something to do with it.
How can we help? Our family of trusted home service professionals are ready to help achieve harmony in your home with these tasks and any other home service needs. Visit our home page to explore our brands and schedule service.